Sunday, November 23, 2008

It's strange how you can sail the same itinerary over and over and then see something new for the first time. After having sailed the Mexican Riviera a number of times, on a family cruise to celebrate my husbands big birthday, we stopped at Mazatlan. Needless to say, my husband played golf. But my grown children and I headed off to Old Mazatlan. I'd always gone to the Golden Zone...hitting all the shops or to Senor Frogs. But this time, we headed over to see the old area and what a treat. Outdoor cafes, the old mercado where my daughter squealed at the sight of a pig's head, the old theater and traditional architecture that was a delight. We stopped for a cookie at the oldest bakery in Mazatlan, strolled through an art museum and capped the day off with my children treating themselves to a massage at a day spa we passed by. It was a wonderful day...and I would highly recommend that next time you're in Mazatlan...skip the Golden Zone and explore the old town.

No comments: